Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Paula Deen Day and Horse Cookie Day

We had a great day of getting a bunch of recipes done. Mondays are my cooking and organizing the rest of the week (of menus) day. Last Monday we were inspired by Paula Deen (my new favorite) and Jessica Seinfelds' new book Deceptively Delicious, which is a great way to hide more nutrition in the foods our kids already love.

I made a batch of homemade "Grandma's Oatmeal" bread, sweetened with honey and oats of course, it was really good, made in my new bread machine. I made a spaghetti casserole with ground up broccoli and carrots in the sauce and whole wheat spiral noodles. It tasted great, and you could not even tell a difference in the flavor of the sauce or the noodles, plus it was much healthier, but the funny thing is that we all love carrots and broccoli anyway, so hiding it was kinda funny to me!!

I just discovered a new juice too, from V8, it has a full serving of fruit and veggies per 8 ounce serving. The kids like it and it tastes like normal juice. No added sugar either!! Breakfast we switched to whole wheat waffles too, so I think every little bit helps!! I guess I have been watching too much of Dr. Oz on Oprah lately!!


Oh I almost forgot about the cookies we made. Amelia and Anna really wanted cookies, so we made HORSE COOKIES---my own recipe---made with Oats (get it,horses love oats) and sweetened with applesauce. They were really good, and even good for you!! I got a recipe for oatmeal and applesauce bars that I am going to try soon, but we are definitely are going to make the horse cookies again!